contests :: realizing the dream
The judging is done by agents and editors attending the Desert Dreams Conference. All entrants will receive a score sheet from the judging agent or editor. The five highest scoring entries (regardless of the category entered) will receive a face-to-face meeting with the agent or editor of his/her choice during the agent/editor meeting time at the conference. All submissions will remain anonymous to the judges and only the finalists will be announced prior to the conference. The overall winner will be announced at the conference. This is the perfect opportunity to avoid the slush pile, get your work critiqued by an editor or agent, and talk to them about your work in a face-to-face meeting at the conference.
2012 Realizing the dream Contest Rules
- Contest runs November 1, 2011 – January 31, 2012.
- The contest is limited to the first 50 entries.
- The contest is open to both published and unpublished authors who are registered for the 2012 Desert Dreams Conference.
- One entry per attendee.
- Entry Fee: Desert Rose members $25.00. All others $30.00.
- Entries: Consist of the first ten manuscript pages and a 3-page synopsis. The entry must be in standard manuscript format. Courier 12 point font or similar with 1 inch margins. The genre and category must be listed on the first page of the entry.
- Please save in rich text format (.rtf) or Word document file (.doc)
- Headers on manuscript and synopsis must contain only the title of the book, category entered, and page number. The author’s name may not appear anywhere on the manuscript or synopsis.
- A cover sheet with the following information must accompany each entry listing:
- the title
- first line of manuscript
- author’s name
- phone number
- category for submission and
- approximate word count for the completed book.
- The entire submission needs to be sent via email, to arrive between November 1, 2011 and January 31, 2012, to Linda Style, Realizing The Dream Contest Coordinator. All entries MUST use “REALIZING THE DREAM CONTEST” in the subject line.
- Score sheets will be available at the conference Friday evening after the Winner is announced. The judges are instructed to destroy all entries they judge.
- Please note that wide variations in scores are possible. One of the purposes of this contest is to get the candid opinions of the judges, (editors and agents) whether those opinions are good or bad. If wide variations in scoring occur, there will be no additional judging. By signing the entry form, entrants acknowledge acceptance of these rules.
For additional information, please contact the Realizing the Dream Contest Coordinator.