contests :: realizing the dream
The Phoenix Desert Rose Chapter of RWA® offers the Realizing the Dream Contest prior to our biannual Desert Dreams Conference. This is the perfect opportunity to avoid the slush pile, get your work critiqued by an editor or agent, and talk to them about your work in a face-to-face meeting at the conference. Winners are announced and receive their awards at the conference.
Who Can Submit?
The contest is open to both published and unpublished authors who are registered for the 2014 Desert Dreams Conference.
What Can You Submit?
Your entry must be a non-published, non-contracted work. This includes self-publishing. If the entry becomes contracted on or before January 31, 2014, you must notify the Realizing the Dream Contest Coordinator. Your entry will then be returned and you will receive a refund of the entry fee.
Who Are the Judges?
The judges are agents and editors attending the Desert Dreams Conference. All entrants will receive a score sheet from the judging agent or editor. All submissions will remain anonymous to the judges and only the finalists will be announced prior to the conference.
What If I Win?
The five highest scoring entries (regardless of the category entered) will receive a face-to-face meeting with the agent or editor of his/her choice during the agent/editor meeting time at the conference. The overall winner will be announced at the conference.
2014 Realizing the Dream Contest Rules
- Submit your entry between November 1, 2013 – January 31, 2014.
- The contest is limited to the first 50 entries.
- Both published and unpublished authors who are registered for the 2014 Desert Dreams Writer’s Conference can submit using our online registration form.
- One entry per attendee.
- Entry Fee: Desert Rose members $25.00. All others $30.00.
- Failure to meet any of the Entry Guidelines below will result in disqualification and a refund of your entry fee.
- Submit the first ten manuscript pages and a 3-page synopsis.
- Manuscripts must be in standard manuscript format (Courier 12 point font or similar with 1 inch margins).
- List the genre and category on the first page of the entry.
- Manuscripts must be rich text format (.rtf) or Word format (.doc)
- Headers on all pages should specify only the title of the book, category entered, and page number.
- The author’s name may not appear anywhere on the manuscript or synopsis pages. Entries that do not meet this requirement will be disqualified.
- Include a cover page for your manuscript with the following information:
- First line of manuscript
- Author’s name
- Phone number
- Category for submission
- Approximate word count for the completed book
To register your entry, please use the Online Realizing the Dream Entry Form, then e-mail your entry package to the Realizing the Dream Contest Coordinator with “REALIZING THE DREAM” in the subject line. By signing the entry form, entrants acknowledge acceptance of these rules.
Scoring and Results
The judges are instructed to destroy all entries they judge. Score sheets will be available at the conference Friday evening after the Winner is announced.
Please note that wide variations in scores are possible. One of the purposes of this contest is to get the candid opinions of the judges (editors and agents), whether those opinions are good or bad. If wide variations in scoring occur, there will be no additional judging.
Need More Info?
For additional information, please contact the Realizing the Dream Contest Coordinator.